About Me

My photo

Born in Stockholm (Sweden), now live in Sapporo (Japan). Hold a Ph.D. in computer science and work with computers during the days, perform magic in a bar during the nights (and weekends, for kids). Also used to teach historical fencing back in Sweden.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sudden deafness, 11 weeks

The view of the parking lot in front of the house I live in.

It has now been 11 weeks since I got sudden deafness and lost the hearing on my left ear. Almost all the hearing has come back, which is nice. One week ago I took my last dose of steroids, so the side effects from the steroids are now also almost gone (my skin looks close to normal, I am not that hungry anymore, etc.), which is also nice.

I caught a cold two and a half weeks ago, and that cold is still with me. I guess it is largely because of the steroids suppressing my immune system that I have not got over the cold yet, but I hope that now that I am off my medication the cold will go away. In the beginning I also got a lot of blood when I blew my nose, which was probably related to the blood pressure medicines I took together with the steroids, but that has stopped now.

I still cannot hear very low frequency sounds with my left ear (at all, no matter how loud they are). My doctor thinks this might be a side effect of the steroids and that it will go away soon, but it has not gone away yet. Other than the cold and not hearing low frequency sounds, I am doing fine. Ah, I also have some ringing in my left ear (constant ringing, but not so loud) and some weird clicking noises in the same ear from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment