Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Ghostly magic show at El Mango Christmas Party


I did a magic show at the salsa club El Mango again. I was there for Halloween, and I was there in November. As this was the third time in only three months, I was running out of new material. I can do hours and hours of table magic, but I do not do that much stage magic so my choice of magic that goes over well is more limited. I ended up doing stuff that I had never performed before for about half the show this time, which is always a bit nervous.


Apart from my magic there was also food. Lots and lots of free food. Very nice food.
Winner of the costume competition
There was a guy wearing a shirt that said 下ネタ王子 ("the prince of dirty talk") who was presented to me as "here is a guy who just like you wears clothes that normal people would never wear". The girl in the angel outfit came second in the costume competition.

There was also a costume competition. I was asked to show up in costume and decided to use my wig from Halloween with my ghost costume from O-Bon. My costume was popular, but I did not win any prize. They mentioned the three top costumes in the competition, but mine was not among them. All the top three candidates were girls in short skirts. Neither was the girl in a short skirt I thought looked best, though.
Stunt fighting
Break dance
More break dance
Rock band
People almost storming the stage during the band's performance
There were also lots of other performances. The stunt fighting group One-Ones was there, a rock band was there, and a break dancing group was there. They were all good.
Multiple participant janken (rock-paper-scissors) game
Rock-Paper-Scissors winner
There were some games, like a janken (rock-paper-scissors) game where the winner got a very nice present.
Passing presents in a ring
I first got something that looked like a PET bottle with tea, but the game started again and I passed this along
There was also "present exchange". This is common in Japanese Christmas parties. Everyone brings a gift, and you stand in a ring passing your gift to the person next to you, and receiving a gift from the person on the other side of you. After some time, this procedure ends and you get to keep whatever gift you are holding at that time.
I finally got Swedish marshmallows
This was the present that I brought
I received a bag of Swedish marshmallows. This is quite unexpected considering this is Japan. Two of my Swedish friends who were here visiting Sapporo also came to the party and I ended up with one of the presents they had brought.

No comments:

Post a Comment