Friday, August 1, 2014

Another episode in the "It's a small world" saga

Some nuts left by the people who had visited the room my Swedish colleague was hospitalized in (when he was hospitalized).
Today I stopped by our magic bar to say hello to one of my friends. They were very busy and there were no seats left in the bar, so they asked me to come behind the counter and look like I was working. I ended up doing magic for four different groups of customers.

The last group was a group of 6, celebrating the birthday of one of them. They specifically asked for me (the foreigner) to come and show them something, and then they asked me where I was from.

 I said: "I am from Sweden", and they said: "Ah, Sweden. Like Mikael-san. Though only the two of us understand who that is."

I said that I actually know a guy from Sweden here in Sapporo who is called Mikael, but they said they had met him in such circumstances that they thought it was not anyone I would know. I said: "Big guy. 194 cm tall, and [by Japanese standards] big stomach too?"

They said: "Yes?! Did your Mikael recently stay in a hospital?"
I said: "Yeah, he broke his leg, in this part [pointing to right below the hip]."
They said: "That's probably him!!" "Japanese wife? Young daughter?" "Hospital [name of hospital]?"

So it was indeed the Mikael I know. Small world.

They (two of them) had visited someone they knew who shared the same hospital room as my Swedish colleague. I said I had also visited that room. We were there a week or so after my colleague had his surgery, but these people seemed to have met him right after his surgery, when he was in a lot of pain.

We talked about other things too for awhile. They were pretty funny.

2 comments:

  1. Inte jättemånga människor i Sapporo som passar in på beskrivningen av min Micke!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nej, här i Sapporo är det inte så ofta man tar fel på person och tror att man ser Micke men det visar sig vara någon annan. :-)

      Delete