Friday, June 22, 2012

Sapporo Festival

My mom liked this type of cold cucumber with miso when she visited the Sapporo festival in 2010. I like it too.
Last week, Thursday to Saturday, it was the Sapporo festival in Nakajima-Koen. There was also the Hokkaido Shrine festival at our biggest shrine.

I went to Nakajima-koen, which is about a five minutes walk from where I live, in my two year old yukata (a thin version of a kimono; originally a type of underwear, now a summer festival thing). I went there with a girl who is half Swedish half Japanese, but who lived most of her life in Sweden. We tried various kinds of festival food and watched the huge masses of people walking around enjoying the festival.
Onigiri (rice ball) wrapped in meat.
Banana with yogurt and puffed rice.
Gyoza with chicken skin instead of dumpling dough as covering. This years hot new item at the festival. It was OK.
Fried chicken skin 
After most people had left work, the festival became crowded and it was difficult to get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment